Province of Piacenza. Welcome to the Official Tourist Information SiteScudo Piacenza

SAN CRISTOFORO ORATORY

Via Genocchi 17, (angolo via Gregorio X)
Description
Once known as Death oratory due to the presence of a fraternity giving assistance during funeral rites. It was probably carried out by Valmagini;the dome was frescoed by Bibiena. Its the headquarters of S. Cristoforo Sacred Music Institute.

Services: the oratory is the headquarters of 'S. Cristoforo Sacred Music Institute', managed by the no-profit association bearing the same name, whose members are Piacenza-Bobbio diocese and 'Progetto Musica' association.
since January 2005, ithas also been the headquarters of 'V.L.Ciampi' band.
The three associations based here, organise, individually or with third subjects,cultural events like: concerts, exhibitions, presentations, conferences, recitals, shows.
The premises may be rented, upon agreement with the peole in charge of'S. Cristoforo Sacred Music Institute'.

information
It was built on demand of the Death Fraternity, which has been based in Santa Maria dell'Argine Church since 1260 .
In the 16th century the religious association moved to San Silvestro Church, also known as 'Old Death' church.
San Cristoforo Church, known as 'New Death Church' was built starting from 1686 and inaugurated in 1690; closed during the French Period, it was reopened during the Restoration Period, but in the mean time the fraternity has ceased to exist.
After several restoration sessions, the first one in the sixties and the last one recently, it was reopened as the headquarters of 'San Cristoforo Sacred Music Institute' in spring 2003.
It belongs to the 'oratory typology', that is to say a culpt place conceived for a group of people: San Cristoforo oratory is public, and its cozy, central plan, suggests the idea of an intimate place, built for a community .
The building certainly derives from a cooperation between Bibiena and the dukes architect Domenico Valmagini; the architect used here his scenographer's culture from a urbanistic point of view, putting into practice thecorner view created by Bibiena.
San Cristoforo Oratory, located in the Northern Part of the city, inside the Roman castrum, is on the corner of two road axis, and allows the foreshortening perception from several points of view .
The tympanum façade is characterised by the application of the gigantic ionic order to double thickness pilaster strips.
The interior has a theatre-like organisation as that makes it suitable for mystery plays, thanks to the combination of real architecture, represented by niches and four stages, and of painted architecture carried out by Bibiena and Natali.

Telephone
+39.328.9166160
Email
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Opening times
Open only upo reservation calling S. Cristoforo Sacred Music Institute.
Free
Free offer
How to get there
Nearby Piacenza train station, parking available in Viale S.Ambrogio.
Disabled access
not accessible to disabled people.
Information Office
Last update
Tuesday, 07 March 2017
News and information edited by the Tourist Information Office of the Municipalities of Bobbio, Borgonovo V.T., Castell'Arquato, Piacenza and Vigolzone